Followers

Sunday 26 July 2015

A Beady Childhood

Well it is Day 2 of National Beading Week and I thought I would tell you how I came to have such a love of beads.


As a small child, in the 1960's, I used to love buttons and beads. Mum had a button tin which contained all sorts of shapes and sizes and I remember spending many happy hours tipping the contents on the carpet and then slowly inspecting each one before placing it back in the big tin. But the best treasures were in a smaller, old tobacco tin

This contained beads collected over the years from pieces of broken jewellery. Neighbours and family members would bring beads and glass "jewels" when they visited to add to my tin. Other children would come round to gaze in awe at the beautiful items I carefully showed them. 

"What are you going to do with them all" Mum used to ask.
" I just like looking at them" was always my reply.

Back then my Gran lived with us and I used to love watching her getting ready for church on a Sunday morning.  She would wear her very finest clothes and always top the outfit off with a beautiful brooch.  In her top drawer lived a wonderful collection of beaded brooches, received as gifts and collected over many years.  

There were animals, flowers, birds and various random shapes. She would carefully select one to compliment her outfit, pin it on and always turn to ask me how she looked. Fascinated by the brooches, I always said that when I grew up I would use my beads to make a brooch especially for her.

I used to run to my Mum and say when will I be big enough to make Granny a brooch?  Soon, she used to reply, very soon.  Sadly my Gran left us before I managed to make her that brooch, but I always think of her with great affection and she is the inspiration for the items I make these days.

Lets end with a little song,  I expect you all know the tune:


When I was just a little girl,
I asked my Mummy what would I bead
Will it be flowers? Will it be birds? 
Here's what she said to me
Que Sera ,Sera, 
Whatever will bead, will bead
The future's not ours to see
Que Sera, Sera, 
What will bead will bead.


That's all for today folks, Tomorrow's blog is all about seed beads.

Click here to visit our website for 10% off beads during National Beading Week

No comments:

Post a Comment